The world is full of pain and suffering, hardship and turmoil, disappointment and regret. So the fact that I can be thankful and mean it, is a miracle.
I’ve learned there is a responsibility that comes with privilege. That I am blessed to bless. Gifted to give. I am not lucky, fortunate, or merely disciplined; I am expected to do something with the grace I’ve been given. And so are you.
When I was younger, I didn’t understand gratitude. In a universe that seemed to hurt for no reason, giving thanks felt dishonest. Living in a world where children die of hunger every day, it just didn’t make sense. But now I understand. Being grateful is a choice.
So today, I chose to make a list, a gratitude list.
Gratitude is not always a natural nature. I believe media sets us up to look at the negative. Therefore, I believe, we need to discipline and remind ourselves the many reasons we have to be grateful. And for some, this exercise well worth the discomfort.
Here’s my challenge to you:
Take some time today, wherever you are and whatever you’re doing, to come up with a gratitude list. If it doesn’t come naturally, don’t let that stop you from still giving thanks. There is still much to be thankful for, if we only have eyes to see or ears to hear that should be enough.
And in case you were wondering, here are my 10 reasons to give thanks today:
1. I am thankful for my health, for being able to take long walks into nature and cleanse my soul.
2. I am thankful for my two adult children , who always display love, kindness and respect to me. They truly are my biggest accomplishment and million $$ rewards.
3. I am thankful for the gift and work of coaching and helping others — that it is both extremely hard and easy at the same time. Easy to do, hard to master at times. Always rewarding.
4. I am extremely thankful for my online community of friends, clients and readers who are making a difference in the world. You guys inspire me.
5. I am thankful for living in a City full of creative minds and great opportunities.
6. I am thankful for doing work that matters.
7. I am thankful for music — which calms my mind and helps me to focus and inspire others.
8. I am thankful for animals, especially dogs — for being able to turn part of my brain off and bring out the kid back to me again.
9. I am thankful for my dearest and loving friends. Through the years they have been the ones who are always open to giving, sharing and receiving. Without these people, life would have been so much harder to make it through.
10. Lastly, and most importantly, I am thankful for Grace that was given to me — for love that cannot be explained (only surrendered to), for a Creator that inspires creativity, for purpose and a hope that there is more to the story than we see. For creating me to be me and giving me the ability to listen with contentment and giving me the love in my heart, even though the times when I might have had anger, hurt or resentment, I had the ability to sit back, ponder and reflect and realize that people only do things they were taught.
So Now Let me hear from you…..What are you thankful for?